Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day at the Nixon Library

(GPS: N33 53.375 W117 49.095)


I spent part of the day at the Richard Nixon Birthplace and Library today. Part of it my reason to go there was to show support for all veterans, but it helped that it was a free day at the library. I have been here a few times, but it has been a few years since I was last there.

I always like California Historical Landmarks. I try to make a point of visiting them when I can find them. Click the picture to see a bigger version to read the details:

Here is the house Richard Nixon was born. They give tours of the bottom floor, but are not allowed to give tours of the second floor due to safety and building ordinance rules.
Here is the well known helicopter American Presidents used in the 60's and 70's.
You can compare that to this picture:
It was very small inside. I was surprised. I had to duck down a bit while going thru:
A different angle:
His birthplace is also a few feet from his gravesite. Click the picture to see the lettering.
The birthplace house is in the background. The new East Room is the big structure on the right side. It is an exact replica of the East Room at the White House. The main parts of the library are behind me and to the left.
Presidential libraries are fun to go to. There are some things I like about them and there are things I do not care so much for, but I think if you have a chance to visit this one or any other president then you should.

The official Richard Nixon Library site.

The story behind the helicopter.

My next entry will be a quick follow up video to this entry.