Sunday, February 19, 2023

Fishing for an Assassin (Part 2)

 In the last blog entry, I showed some of this location I found north of Yosemite near Sonora Pass. I noted that in the movie Out of the Past the area seems very compact, but in reality this scene was filmed over a few hundred feet of the location.

Initially we see Dickey Moore fishing, Joe stands on a cliff where he intends to kill Robert Mitchum across the river, but Dickey Moore casts his fishing hook in time to snag Joe, and then pulls him so he falls to his death in the river. The following picture has Dickey and Robert looking over the body of Joe:

Here is that exact same spot. The trick however is that this location is a few hundred feet down river from the pictures of the last blog.
Then Robert Mitchum talks to Dickey Moore about him being followed and stuff right here:
To get that I just moved to the right side of the picture I took above to get something like this:
Since the water level was not so bad at the time I was here for this trip I decided to investigate the rocky river here. Disclaimer: early in the year this could be a really bad thing to do. No matter what time of the year one is near fast moving water one should be extremely careful around slippery rocks. If one falls here they could end up like Joe in the movie.
In the picture below I was standing where Dickey Moore was and Robert Mitchum would have been standing on the rock with the partial tree trunk laying on it right in front of me.
So knock this one off my "to do list" If I am ever in the mood to reboot my OOTP video I will probably add this location to it. In the meantime, enjoy the video I did here:

F.F.A.A. (Youtube Video)