Saturday, September 10, 2022

Maverick's Mustang (Aka So the Summer Ends)

 So a few weeks ago I visited Planes of Fame in Chino, CA to see this plane:

This was the plane that was used in the recent Top Gun: Maverick movie in the scenes at Ridgecrest, CA that are shown at the beginning and ending of the movie. It is a P-51 variant known as the F-6K, and built near the end of WW2 for photo reconnaissance. Tom Cruise purchased it 1994, is the owner, and loaned it out temporarily for viewing at the museum.  

Another angle.

And another.

I took a few videos of it, but not sure I will upload them since I am sure there is a bunch of stuff already out there about this plane. If I do it will be at a much later time, and I will link it in this specific blog. I will link a few videos I saw of it on a simple Google search below at the end of this blog.

So, this summer was interesting and did some self-reflection on how I want to continue this blog. As I get older, I do not have the same motivations as I did fifteen to twenty years ago. I still enjoy uploading and typing about things I do, but there is a work involved. That is what wears me down in trying to get everything right and to perfection (which I never really achieve). 

The good news is I am starting to think of putting videos together again. I have a few that are close to being done that I should have up in another month or two. The videos that I am little more excited about will probably be done and shown during 2023. I am not saying I will have videos up every week, but there are a few things I was able to get done this summer that I think most people that enjoy what I have done will like.

I kind of left the last blog in a cliffhanger in what I was most concerned about: the weather conditions. Btw, I edited a short section about Mark Twain visiting Virginia Lakes in the last blog if you have an interest in that. Basically, on my main trip to the Eastern Sierra this summer a fire had already been going, but the day I drove past Bishop a new fire had started and smoke was everywhere. I was really discouraged. 

I had already started to modify my thinking on what I wanted to accomplish this summer. Fortunately, within a few days the smoke was not as bad, and it started to have dark cloud conditions every day. Eventually, it started to drizzle and rain most days. The funny thing is when I left to come home at around 2am in the morning, it rained all the way on the HWY 395 all the way home. I have never had that happen before. This was the day that I read Death Valley had a flash floods.

So, I was able to capture some footage and do somethings I wanted to do. I did visit two movie locations. One you would know very well that I revisited, and one that is completely new that I figured out. Some hiking, but not what I had hoped to do. Again, I did some self-reflection on this that I will talk more about as the months go by. As I get older I want to modify how I do things so I keep myself motivated and happy doing these things. 

Thats all for now. Check back soon.