Saturday, November 26, 2022

The Silence of Gaylor Peak

 As I explained in the last blog entry, I did this part of the hike in the morning. I then visited the mining area after I came back down. While the hike might look intimidating from the pictures I showed last time it really is not. This is because you do not need to climb it from the east side. 

This looks a lot different than what you see from the other side. I would say this is probably one of the easier hikes in the Eastern Sierra. Do not get me wrong, one does need to be in shape and prepared, but it is a little milder than others.

As I said, there are some rough moments when you look straight up. I spent some time zig zagging my way up. Not too far from here I encountered a ranger coming back down. He basically told me I was done, and I kind of figured I was. There were a few false summits though.

At this I looked back. When I came back down, and I then descended to the right toward Gaylor Lake you can see a small part of. 
Now I am at the summit. You can see Gaylor Lake looking toward the west of Yosemite.
This is looking toward the north-west you can see the Granite Lakes in the distance. I did not go to those on this trip. 
This picture is looking north at Upper Gaylor Lake. This picture is interesting because I am now looking to where I was going to be in an hour or two. In the background is the Great Sierra Cabin of Tioga Hill and mining area I showed in the last blog. You will not be able to see it, but the trail is on the other side of the lake that goes by the cabin. 

Finally, looking more toward the east you can see Tioga Lake and beyond that Tioga Pass. I did not show Mt. Dana because the sun was glaring down in that direction. You can see it briefly in the video.

The music from Incomptech.com is called Ice Giants and Either Vox.

As an aside, this video marks the end of a certain way I do videos. I am going to make some changes in the way I do things going forward. This is why I wanted to get this video up. I will talk about this at the beginning of 2023.