Friday, November 11, 2022

Veterans Day 2022: My Day at the 2022 MCAS Miramar Air Show

Happy Veterans Day to all our Vets! Even though I am focusing on my day at Miramar I like to think that this is a tribute to all the services. 

So back in early 2020 I purchased a new camera with the intent to use it a bunch of air shows. When I got the camera I went to a local park every few days to learn how to use it with a bunch of ducks, birds, and some aircraft flying around. I was about a month away from two major air shows. Then Covid kicked in and everyone shut down. While I had been able to visit the Planes of Fame in Chino, CA a few times to focus on a one plane they would fly a month, this was the first time I was able to attend the big Miramar Air Show.

The day I went was very hot! The sun in front of me was bearing down on me in such a way that I was a little worried about myself at the end of the day when I was trying to get back to the car. This is one thing about air shows where I live: they always pick the days that seem to have really sunny conditions. Which is good for some reasons, but by the end of the day I am wiped out!

Anyways, I was able to get some good pictures that day back in September. I took a short video that I will link at the bottom that shows you the short landing ability of the F-35B, If you have not seen that before it is quite amazing.

One of my favorite parts of the day was the Marine Air Ground Task Force demo which shows how the Marines can occupy an area. Basically, the air forces are given the okay to start bombing and take out targets, More air forces come in to make sure the area is clear. Then the Helicopters come in to clear out the area. Then the marine troops show up. Obviously, a lot more complicated this this, but you get the idea as the fighters come in at fast speeds:
Later on the F-22 showcased some of its abilities. It was very fun to watch that! Eventually, they flew it a long with a P-51 from the Planes of Fame in Chino. It was their Heritage Flight at the show.
Finally, the Blue Angles took over at the end of the show. They were great:
So, I was very satisfied and exhausted at the end of the day. It was a great show.
Even though I was tired for a few days, I was already thinking of better ways to take pictures of these jets if I ever get to another show like this. We shall see!

The following is the link to a short unlisted Youtube video of the F-35B landing: