Friday, December 01, 2023

Ghosts of the Past: Aurora, Nevada

So my series I have been calling Ghosts of the Past was not really meant to be just a October/Halloween series. It kind of worked out that way, but I knew I was going to be doing something that would take me into December. So here we are. This series was mostly me going back to places I have shown before on the blog and them being ghost towns or mines. It was primarily me updating a few things and adding a more up to date GoPro video. 

With that said, I love Aurora Ghost Town in Nevada, but I think I said most of what I wanted to say about the town back in 2011. I will link all those old blogs below in the next blog entry. So let me update you on what has happened.

Overlooking the town in 2023:


First, I did make some big mistakes that I tried to correct during that time. I have not looked, but I think Youtube took down the annotations I did to correct the errors I made. This was a big motivation for me to do another video and make things right. I will note them as we come to them.

Second, a few more books about the town have come out since I was last there. I will note those in the next blog or two, but it was really great getting lots of new information about the town and people that had inhabited it.

Third, I was in Aurora back in 2020. I am going to actually admit to you that I was much sharper in finding what I was after during that time than when I came in 2023. There is a reason for that. In 2020, I was still using my old-style camcorder, and it was about that time I was seriously thinking of shifting to GoPro. One thing I did not really want to give up was my ability to zoom in and out of places, but I knew it was time for me to switch video technology. This is one of the reasons I delayed talking about Aurora again. I meant to, but I knew I would probably be coming back.

I am going to use this blog to point out a few things, maybe a few more blogs to clarify some of the errors I made in 2011, and show what I did on the recent trips. 
 
So what made 2023 a much different year that 2020 or any other time I had been there in the past? Check out this picture of me looking towards the east of Pine Street.


Due to the winter/spring of 2023 the whole entire Eastern Sierra was much different looking than I was used to. I was walking around where this picture was taken and having a hard time identifying things as easily as I did in 2020. All the bushy plant life of Aurora was much bigger and green than I had ever seen before! Not only did I have a hard time walking around, but I had a harder time seeing where the roads would have been. 

Then just walking past the main intersection you could see parts of the road were washed out by the water that had come through here. The above picture is looking at where the Exchange Saloon would have been on the corner of Pine and Antelope Streets. You can see where the water came and washed this part out. It is shown more in the video I took as I mention it a few times. 

In the past I would see maps of where two areas of water would come through the town, and how they must have dug out parts of the area to allow for this. This time I could clearly see where an overwhelming amount of water had gone through the town earlier in 2023. There was a small stream going through the town during the summer. That I had never seen before.

You will see this in the video. So, I was a little disappointed in how that turned out. I truly hope that there is some repair work done on the roads since there was quite a bit of erosion that took place this past year. There were parts of these roads were there were big holes in.

Okay, I am going to stop here for the time being. I'll get back to this tomorrow.