Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Ghosts of the Past: Mark Twain's Cabin Again

 In almost every blog entry I have written on here there have been mistakes. Some are not really important. I would put stuff like I went left when I went right, words left out or not making sense, etc. I have had stuff up for years only to find out, "Did I say that?! Good grief! I never meant that at all!"  For the most part, my readers have been forgiving about those sort of things. 

I have had a few contact me over a few things over the years were my locations were off. In one or two situations I was not trying to show the location of what they thought. Lol! In others there was a good reason that I was mistaken, and I just had not gotten around to updating what I had done. I have few like that I still want to take care of. 

This is one of those situations that no one has said anything to me about, but I have known I have been a bit off for quite some time. 

My original blog on this cabin: Aurora Ghost Town (Mark Twain)

Here is the reality of this situation...I don't care.

Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) lived at a variety of places in Aurora during his six months there. He lived with friends while there. There is a story that some woman took a piece of wood for this cabin and presented it to Mark Twain. His reply was something to the effect that he never owned a cabin in Aurora. 

So, in the blog above I ended up going a little further than I should have. At the time I did not have access to the older picture shown in this photo:

The above picture was taken in 2020. It is a little closer to where this cabin would have been. Notice that Lover's Leap can be seen in the background. That is key. 

When I went this last summer in 2023 I had forgotten I had taken the above picture. So I ended up a little further on East Pine St. than I should have. It is in the video that I note the mistake.

Again, it is a situation that I just do not care enough about. My apologies to any Mark Twain fans that this is important to them. There are certain things I bring up on this blog that are really important to me and others that are nice tidbits, but I just don't care that much about this compared to other things about Aurora. If you do care about this then let me link you to this article:

Mark Twain's Aurora Cabins - Site of his First Success

Heading back down west to Pine St. we see this:

Again, this would have been in 2020 when it was a lot less green and road eroded than in 2020. The Esmeralda Hotel and Courthouse would have been the building on the left.

In the next blog or two I will be heading back to the cemetery.