Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Ghosts of the Past: Flying Over Chemung Mine

 This is a follow up to the last blog entry. Like my GoPro footage, this was my first attempt using my Anafi drone two years ago a little more seriously than I had been. When I first got this drone I would fly it straight up, take a few pictures, take some video without going too far away, then come down. My emphasis was on taking pictures, and my concern was losing the drone if I flew too far away. At the time I thought this might be the only drone I would get, which turned out not to be the case. What you will see in the video I link below is that I did have the idea of taking pictures first as I flew over the area. The moves were slow looking for potential pictures. It is not the way I do things with my current drones, but I thought I would upload this video as it does show the area above The Chemung Mine.

So the first picture is my drone just slightly up looking at the main entrance to The Chemung Mine.

Much higher to my right from the above picture, looking down on the mine:
I flew over and took this from the backside. Something mysterious is in this picture. I will explain it more below, but when I got home, I saw someone walking around between the trees on the lower left side of the picture. Can you see the person in blue?
I then flew back further to get a picture looking towards Bridgeport Lake and Sawtooth Ridge/Matterhorn Peak on the upper left side of the ridgeline.
I then flew back to where I was, and I took this shot looking down on the mine.

So here is the deal with the mysterious person in the pictures and video. What I did was when I got there was fly the drone first. I spent about ten minutes doing that. Then I walked up with my GoPro and did the footage for that video. All through this I never saw anyone at all. I came home, and a few hours later I looked through the pictures and footage on the computer. I was a bit spooked to see a person hanging out at the mine while I was there. I never saw this person.

What I think happened was that person was there with a motorcycle as I got there. I flew the drone as he was there. As I finished up with the drone, he must have taken his motorcycle and gone out on one of those other roads you see in the above picture. He did not come back through the main entrance area. I would like to tell you that he was a ghost, but this seems the logical and natural conclusion to what happened here.

However, I never saw him nor did I ever hear any motorcycle by there. I should have heard the motorcycle roar as he took off. I heard nothing.

Flying Over The Chemung Mine (Youtube Video)