Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Great Silence (AKA Matterhorn Peak: Summit Views 6/7)

“I felt like telling Japhy everything I thought but I knew it didn’t matter and more over he knew it anyway and silence is the golden mountain.” (Kerouac, Jack. Dharma Bums. New York: Penguin Group, 1986, Pgs. 72)
Looking toward the south. Whorl Mountain is the prominent peak just south of here.
In the middle all the way in the background is Mt. Dana. All the way over where the clouds are if you just look diagonally a little left is where Mt. Lyell is. Almost halfway in between the two is Mt. Conness. I have never climbed Mt. Lyell and probably never will, but I did get in range to view its glacier this last summer. I hope to have something up on that this year.
Looking more to the east now. That should be Turquoise Lake.
Looking back in the direction I started. One can actually see where one parks, but I would have to move around from where I was at. The prominent rock in front of me is what you see down below and is what gives it the “Matterhorn” type of look from below. You can see Bridgeport Lake and the Sweetwater Mountains in the distance.