Thursday, December 28, 2023

Ghosts of the Past: Flying Over Aurora (Part 1)

 Hey everyone! I hope you are having a great holiday season!

Long story short, I was supposed to have these next flew blogs up by Christmas for the ending of the "Ghosts of the Past" series, but I got sick and then my internet provider went out on me for over a week. With that said, let's get to it:

After I did the GoPro footage and did two drone flights over the area. The first flight started at the where the Daly Gang house would have been. I flew over to the other side near the peak of Lover's Leap. I knew that is where the most popular picture from 1890 was taken looking down on the town. I tried to emulate it, but was much higher up. If I had come down a little lower and moved the drone to my left I might have been a little closer:

A slightly different picture. You can see how the water really "carved" into the where the town would have been. It turns out the town was prepared for this, and I have seen how water would have come down almost like in some of the maps. 
This is trying is looking out where Pine St. would have gone east to west (or vice versa).
For comparison this is from my previous drone during 2020. This lacks the water "carving" drainage of 2023. 
Finally, this is crossing over to the eastern side. Where the Wild West Mine would have been:
I will continue with this one in Part 2.